If parents have plans to enrol their child in a school in Singapore then there is one very important task that needs to be fulfilled. If the child is going to stay in Singapore without his parents then the parents have to appoint a guardian for the child.
One very important thing to be noted here is that not everyone can become an international student guardian in Singapore. There are some mandatory student guardian requirements that need to be fulfilled.
A look at the Student Guardian requirements:
- A Singapore resident or permanent resident who is more than 21 years of age can be appointed as the guardian. In the case of some mainstream schools in Singapore the mandatory age is 25 years and above.
- A parent of the child or any relative of the child who is a permanent resident or citizen of Singapore and one who stays or works in Singapore can also be appointed as a student guardian.
- The guardian has to be appointed by the parents. He or she has to be approved by the parents of the child.
- Completed nomination form which has be signed by the parents has to be submitted in the school.
- For the validation the guardian’s NRIC and passport copies will also have to be submitted.
These are the duties of the student guardian:
- The guardian will be responsible for all the school administrative activities that is attending the parent teacher meet etc
- He will be the counsellor for the child and must provide all the support that the child needs.
- He has to act as the mentor of the child and must also guide the child in all academic activities.
- He has to take care of the health of the child and if needed will also have to take the child to the doctor at anytime of the day and night.
- If the guardian notices anything abnormal about the child then he has to inform the parents immediately.
- The guardian has to keep the parents posted about every minute details and happenings in the life of the child.
- He has to look after the complete development of the child.
- He will be the point of contact between the school and the parents.
- The guardian will have to protect the child and will have to ensure that the child is safe in Singapore.
- Overall the guardian has to be the parent of the child in the absence of his or her parents in Singapore.
In case you do not know anyone who can become a guardian for your child in Singapore then that does not mean that your child cannot study in Singapore. There are good and reputed homestays in Singapore where international students can reside. These reputed homestays provide the best facilities to the international students. They also provide student guardian services. Reputed homestays are trustworthy and reliable and you can be rest assured that they will take utmost care of your child.